Monday, October 22, 2012

New Kitchen Cabinet Display


One of the things I love best about collecting kitchen items is displaying them in my glass-fronted cabinets. When we bought this house, having cabinets like these was on my wish list. (It definitely wouldn't have been a deal-breaker for sure, but it helped when we looked at this house!)

So it was a perfect place to display some of my collections. For a while I collected printed glassware (another post on that coming soon), and I inherited some really neat red and yellow pottery, which went with my kitchen's yellow, green and red color scheme. Those made a nice display for a while. But lately I've been collecting Pyrex, FireKing and jadeite, and decided to re-organize my displays to better reflect that.

That meant moving things around and re-thinking what I reallly wanted to look at for a while. It took me the better part of a rainy afternoon last week to finally settle on a layout, so to document that, I thought I'd show you all.

Here's the before:


Not too bad, really, but not as organized as I would like. Some of these things have been in the same spot for ten years! Also the clear glassware at the top right kind of disappears. (It's really neat close-up, with etched stars, but would be better put away somewhere else.) You can see the printed glassware all jumbled in the lower right. I figured, since you can't really make it all out, maybe it's best if I put most of it away and only get out only one set at a time.

Here's the finished display, and close ups to follow:


I tried to organize it by color a little bit, with the red and yellow pottery near the yellow and green Fiesta. Then the jadeite and Peach Blossom FireKing (which is a match made in heaven, I think), then the Pyrex on the right.


The Fiestaware is not old (mostly), and our regular everyday dishes, so they have to be easily accessible.


This is probably my favorite one, with the FireKing and jadeite. The printed glasses in the carrier are the only ones to make the cut right now. You can see some of the Pyrex holiday mugs sneaking into the picture there- guess they wanted a bit of face time in the FireKing cabinet, LOL!


The Pyrex cabinet. I am trying really hard to limit myself to just the primary colors set  (I'm using the yellow 404 at the moment, so it's not pictured) and turquoise Butterprint, plus pink and promotional designs. The lone FireKing wheat casserole in the lower right belonged to my dad, so it still gets a place of honor.

Right now, I'm pretty happy with it and it is a nice change of scenery!

11 comments:

  1. Your collection is gorgeous! I LOVE Fire King jadeite and you have some very sweet pieces! I collect Fiestaware as well. It is our everyday kitchen ware.
    I adore everything about this display! Great job! Thanks for sharing! :)
    -Denise

    ReplyDelete
  2. every time I peek at your blog I feel compelled to buy pyrex :) I've requested and been granted preview rites to some of my Mom's pyrex from ages ago...love the stuff you are showing in your fabulous glass cabinets

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty display! And I love your Fire King batter bowl. I have been wanting one for a long time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That batter bowl belonged to my Grandma. I inherited it from her- thank goodness, because they go for crazy money!

      Delete
  4. You have a stellar collection! It looked lovely before, but really looks great now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! Never been a huge fan of the peach blossom before but now, after seeing it displayed with the Jadeite, I have a new appreciation for it. Lovely.

    So jealous of your cabinets! I also collect Jadeite, Fiesta, Fire King, and turquoise and white Pyrex and it would all look so fabulous in some cabinets like yours! Love your display!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that is really nice. I don't have pretty enough dishes to want cabinets like that though.

    I found some great handmade cabinet knobs that i thought I might share.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sartistic?ref=seller_info

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your Kitchen cabinets because they are organized and I like also the color. You know what? You inspired me for your work. So that I will organize also my kitchen things later. Keep on sharing!

    Best Kitchen Cabinets

    ReplyDelete