Monday, October 29, 2012

Sweet Potato Pie Recipe

Here is my promised recipe for Sweet Potato Pie, Enjoy!



Sweet Potato Pie


Ingredients: 


3 Large Sweet Potatoe's (Depending on the size, I used 3 large SP)

1/4 cup of milk, Sometimes more for mashing the sweet potatoe's

2-4 tbs butter

1 large bag of marshmellows

Cinnamon to taste



Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees


Fill up large pot with water, put a little salt to make the water boil faster.
Heat the water on med-high heat on the stove until it starts to boil.

Throw in the yams in the boiling water and let it boil for about a half hour to an hour,
until soft. Poke your fork in the sweet potatoes to see if the fork goes all the way through, if so they are done and to be drained.

Carefully drain the sweet potatoes and put the sweet potatoes in a mixing bowl, preferably Pyrex!!


Let cool fully  before touching the sweet potatoes otherwise you can burn yourself!


Once the sweet potatoes are cool enough to touch, peel off all the skin .

Once the sweet potatoes has no more skin on them, mash it up with the fork so that when you use your beater it can beat it easily.


I add the milk & butter and beat the sweet potato mixture until smooth and creamy, if you need to add more butter or milk do so to make it creamy but not too watery!

Add the cinnamon to taste, I just throw the cinnamon in until it taste good for me, I probably use about 2 tbs of cinnamon.


Get a large round bowl and layer the bottom of the bowl with the sweet potato mixture, then add the marshmallows to cover the sweet potato mixture, then add the sweet potato mixture, then marshmallows and so on.  You want it to be in layers in the bowl, sweet potato, marshmallows, sweet potato, marshmallows etc...Cover the whole top of the sweet potato mixture with marshmallows.


Put the sweet potato pie in the oven for about 15-20 minutes until the top of the marshmallows are golden brown.


That's it! And then you can enjoy your sweet potato pie!


Enjoy, and if anyone try's this please let me know how it turns out!




6 comments:

  1. I will definitely try this and post pics. Have you thought about adding pecans? I know my granny added pecans to her southern sweet potatoes. Just a thought! Sounds so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I never thought of that!! I love Pecans! You add it in the mixture or just on top?

      Yes post pics, I hope you like it! I sometimes add a little salt in the mixture but sometimes I leave it alone.

      Delete
    2. She would just put them on top. But I'm sure you could do both. I thought about doing candied pecans and adding it to your recipe. But candied might make it all too sweet.

      Delete
    3. Oh I have to try putting them on top! Thanks for the idea.
      Hmmm...that does sound good but it might be too sweet like you said.
      How do you make candid pecans?

      Delete
    4. I've only made candied pecans a couple of times. You use a sugar-based mixture made in a small saucepan and add your pecans to it. Then you bake it in the oven. I'll have to get the exact recipe for you. It's in my mothers recipe box I inherited. :)

      Delete
    5. Thanks!! I would love to know the exact recipe so I can make it for thanksgiving!

      Delete