Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Vintage Shopping Spree!!!

My sister and I took a trip to visit our cousin in Kansas City this weekend with the purpose of an all weekend vintage shopping spree. I haven’t bought much Pyrex lately (partly because I have so much and I don’t need more!) and what I have found is usually something I already have. But I was excited to search in a new city and had great hopes! Well, the trip did not disappoint and I found several things that have been on my want list for a while. And to top it off they were all very reasonably priced. In fact, they were some of the cheapest pieces I found on my trip with some other more common items priced at much higher prices!

Our first stop was at a vintage mall that is only open on the first weekend of the month. Near the back I spotted a small pink casserole dish. At first I thought it was gooseberry (which I have that size), but then I realized it was butterprint!! As I approached it, I made a deal with myself that if it was over $25, I wouldn’t buy it. Well, it was only $12, so it is mine!!!! And strangely, sitting right next to it was a 502 gooseberry fridge dish for $25. They definitely didn’t know what they had!!

On day two we drove out to Lawrence, KS and it was even more successful! I found a bride’s casserole for only $5 and the black and white gooseberry 443 for $10. I had never seen the bride’s casserole in person, and for some reason I have always thought that it was the 473 (1.5 pint) size, but it is actually a 474. Unfortunately it didn’t have a lid, and this one seems to be hard to find by itself. I have found so many for the 471/472/473 size (probably because they were all interchangeable), but only one extra for the 474 size and it is currently in use for the only other 474 I have. Hopefully, I will find one soon!

My last day brought many great finds as well, including a Pyrex juice carafe that I have wanted for a long time!! It is in great shape with lemon and orange slices decorating the sides and I can’t wait to use it for my fresh juice that I make at home. I already have the juice carafe that has white lemon decorations and I use it for water. I love it so I am so excited to have another! I also found an odd bowl. It is the shape of a 401 and it looks like the older ones with the raised base and thicker rim, but is unmarked. It is a reddish orange color and painted on the bottom as well (instead of being white). And it has measurements on the inside. I have never seen it and couldn’t find anything by searching Google. Anyone have any ideas about this?


I also found some other great items. I thought the turquoise and gold carafe was Pyrex at first, but it is marked Douglas. I also found some milk glass spice shakers. I have wanted some vintage spice jars forever and these are in great shape, and the lids are in nice condition with no rust. I also like that they are blank and I can make my own labels for them. Can’t wait to fill them up! Some of my other finds included a fabulous pink hat, an old Family Circle dessert cookbook from 1954 (I love vintage cookbooks!), a pink milk glass candy dish, a cute orange Fire King bowl, a pepper shaker (now I need to find the salt!) and some super cute drinking glasses.



Overall, it was a GREAT weekend and I am already planning to go back for another shopping weekend as Kansas City has lots of great vintage shops with great prices!

12 comments:

  1. Hey I'm in KC! Glad you found some goodies! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't KC pretty great for antiquing? (I am from there and always have luck when I go to antique malls--thrifts are hit and miss). I am SO jealous of your Bride's casserole! $5 is a great price! I've never antiqued in Lawrence (I went to the University of Missouri and Lawrence is home to our arch rival, KU, so I don't like to enter their city. Haha!) But since you found the Bride's there, maybe I will have to check it out...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have a huge antique mall there that has awesome prices! It is two levels!

      Delete
  3. Looks like you had a very fruitful trip! Love the Bride's and the pink butterprint!
    Sorry I can't help you about the little red bowl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good finds. Still slim pickin's around here! Went to the thrift store today...oh well!
    The little pepper shaker is sweet.
    Deb :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, good deal on the pink Butterprint. So jealous!

    Good finds all around, tho too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a strange little red bowl, I hope you keep us updated on what you find out about it! Great finds, so jealous of the pink Butterprint!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lucky!!!!! I wish I could find the pink butterprint

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was one of the things I never thought I would find, so keep on hoping!

      Delete
  8. What a great weekend you had! Sounds like so much fun! I love the pink butterprint, fabulous find! And the spice jars and pepper shaker are so cute. All your finds are great; I just love mid-century.

    I also don't have any idea about the red bowl. Very curious. If you ever do find out, would you please post again and let us know?

    ReplyDelete
  9. What places do you recommend hitting up while there? I am always on the look out for new places with great prices while planning my antique weekends.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We went to so many places!!! Urban Mining and a shopping area called The West Bottoms are only open the first weekend of the month. The West Bottoms has several shops. We also went to River Market Antiques. They are open all month. I loved River Market and the Urban Mining!! In Lawrence, KS, we went to Lawrence Antique Mall. It was great too!! Make sure to plan lots of time. It's huge!!

    ReplyDelete