Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Cleaning tips, please!

Hello, fellow Pyrex people!

This Golden Hearts has nothing to do with this post--I just wanted to add visual spice to my question.

For the longest time, I had amazing success with Barkeeper's Friend for all the silverware marks and cooked-on grossness on my thrifted Pyrex. However, the last few pieces I've cleaned seem to have lost some of their shine as a result. Thankfully, they were all dirt-cheap and sort of risky buys since they were so coated in grime, but still...now I'm paranoid to clean ANYTHING. I've read about people getting great results from soaking in hot water and soap, but soaking by itself has never worked for me for the super baked-on crud. So if you have any tips that don't include soaking (unless you're using some kind of magical soap), please share!

Thanks,
Margaret Ann

9 comments:

  1. I've heard of people using Corning cleaner and oven cleaner. I've seen the before and afters and it's pretty amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ive used oven cleaner and it worked well you just have to watch the piece and not leave it on for too long. I've also used magic eraser with great success

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found an oyster shucker in our kitchen utensil drawer. Although I'm not sure where it came from, it worked wonders on chipping away the baked on dark spots while not chipping away the paint. I did soak the pieces in hot, soapy water for about 5 minutes, and then would use the shucker to pick away at the baked on gunk. Rinse, wipe, repeat. It took some time and love, but I was quite please with the results.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bar Keepers Friend is a godsend for Pyrex collectors. It takes off all those awful black scratches and even the baked on grime! All you do is make a paste out of it, then buff it on with a wet cloth and you'll be amazed :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. For the super baked on stuff I use oven cleaner. But not on gold. I haven't had a problem with BKF but I have heard more and more people are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recently used BKF on my Gold Acorn casserole. I was scared it would remove the gold, but I did it anyways, and it worked perfectly. I think the trick is to buff on and rinse off quickly. Especially on those colored/patterned pieces.

      Delete
  6. I've been using Bon Ami and it works great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, all! For those of you who commented about BKF, it sounds like I've been too harsh in my application of the stuff. I really appreciate the tips.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I use oven cleaner on the tough stains, a paste of baking soda and water on the orangish rust stains and metal marks (let it dry and use a soft cloth to buff it out, repeat if necessary) and magic eraser on everything. I havent had a lot of luck with BKF, but these methods are effective and safe.

    ReplyDelete