Monday, March 26, 2012

Slim but fun pickings

Hello all--I'm new to the Pyrex Collective III. I've been collecting vintage Pyrex for a couple years and am sort of amazed at: a) how many pieces I've managed to find; and b) how much time I spend on the internet, gazing at pictures of Pyrex.

I keep reading about Pyrex droughts, and it's no different here in Seattle. I've watch the supply of Pyrex dwindle while prices go up and up and up at thrift stores. When Goodwill recently slapped a "collectible" label on an Early American divided dish along with a $12.99 price tag, I saw that as the beginning of the end of the golden age of Pyrex collecting. It's fine if they want to make money--it's just disappointing from a treasure-hunting point of view.

Anyway. Enough belly-aching. It's still good fun. A couple of recent finds:

A juice carafe for $3.99 at Goodwill. A bit pricey (though not cursed with the "collectible" tag), but I've been looking for a glass juice pitcher to replace the plastic ones we have, so it seemed reasonable to me. According to a little hasty reading done on www.corellecorner.com, my carafe is probably from the 1980's.

A "Dandelion Duet" divided dish, sans lid or candlewarmers, supposedly from a Spring 1959 Promotion (according to www.pyrexlove.com). I can't remember the exact price but I paid less than five dollars for it at my local St. Vincent de Paul. I love this pattern. We've owned this dish for a month or so and I use it mostly for serving snack to my children--fruit in one side; cheese and crackers or something else in the other. As much as I love to just gaze at the Pyrex, it's so fun when we actually use it.

Happy Pyrex hunting!
Margaret Ann

4 comments:

  1. Sweet! Thanks for the post. I love the pitcher and the dish is cute too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same pitcher, they're great! I have a few divided dishes but not that one, I love that pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have that divided dish with the lid, but also no candlewarmer, it's a beaut!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the dandelion! It's definitely one of my favorites :)

    ReplyDelete