Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Frenemies

Let's begin this by saying, that being a new collector, there are still several prints I've never seen "in the wild." Sure my first love is gooseberry, but I'm dying to see balloons and the pink butterprint in person. I love the Friendship pattern too, but I have never seen it, nope, not once. Not in an antique store. Not at a garage sale or Value Village or Salvation Army. Not between Vancouver and Bellingham anyway.
I am seriously lacking in the avian goodness that is the Friendship bowl set.

So imagine my utter joy last night when I convinced my husband to take me to Value Village to celebrate the completion of my lab science credit at school, and I saw from a distance the distinctive look of a pyrex friendship bowl. My adrenaline flooded my nervous systems and my palms began to sweat like a teenage boy stealing a playboy from a corner store.

As I approached, my heart began to sink and this is why.
Too many wash and rinse cycles :(
Better luck next time! This definitely reminds me: "handwash, handwash, handwash"

9 comments:

  1. Awwww. The first time I saw Friendship is looked similar to that...but so much worse! LOL I could just see the outlines of where the birds used to be. Luckily my Mom just found me my first friendship bowl a couple weeks ago.
    Don't worry! It will happen!! :)
    Erica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you eventually you got your hands on some good Friendship :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It reminds me of the bowls we had in the house growing up. I remember the last one I owned... as I swept it up off the floor. "This is why we can't have nice things!" ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was my first Pyrex dish... only the smaller mixing bowl. It was my grandma's. :) Hope you find a pretty one soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, that is so disappointing when you see the dishwasher damage. Keep your hopes up though, I actually found a set of Friendship last weekend, at a garage sale!! I couldn't believe it-they were stacked together so at first I just saw the large bowl, then looked in and saw the rest, I almost had a heart attack :)It wasn't priced, and when I asked how much, the lady said "$3 for the set", I seriously thought I was dreaming. I didn't even look around anymore, I paid her and ran them out to the car, just in case she changed her mind. I rarely see any kind of pyrex in the wild, and was ecstatic to come across this pattern, in good shape, for an absolute steal. So it can happen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! What an amazing find! I woulda thrown my change at that woman and I would have ran like the wind to my car too!

      Delete
    2. LOL the Ikea `start the car` commercial.

      Good find!

      Delete
  6. I took me almost 2 years to see pink Butterprint in person. I now own a piece - $20. I like the turquoise on white better, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And yet the turquoise Cinderella bowl set was my very first Pyrex find, $18.00 for all four bowls at Value Village, mint! Different strokes for different folks I guess!

      Delete