Tuesday, May 15, 2012

How Much is Too Much?

Oh no, not Pyrex...you can never have too much of a good thing. Am I right??

No, I mean, I read all the posts from all three collectives, and I see a lot of "I wouldn't buy it at that price" or "Eek I spent too much on this piece" and it got me wondering really, how much is too much for pyrex? (and let's just talk in the wild, not online, because i know prices can get out of control online)

I usually just see less desirable or more typical patterns when I go thrift (like a boatload of Early American) so imagine my surprise when I headed down the housewares aisle and eye level to the lady standing next to it was a 4 qt Cinderella style Butterprint...all shiny and aqua.

I reached around her cart and grabbed that sucka. Felt the rim, checked the paint, flipped it for the price. $6.99.

This truly caused me to pause. I was having a moral and financial dilemma. It would be my first Butterprint piece, but I could hardly justify spending $7 of my hard earned paypal dollars (I try to use only my etsy earnings on my crazy addiction) on a bowl. And if I bought it at that price, I would just be encouraging GW to keep raising the roof when it comes to pricing pyrex...on the other hand, if I didn't buy it, somebody else surely would...and I wanted it!!

What would you have done? Because I'm sure you all can guess what I did. Yup, I wiped out my paypal for that pretty baby! :)


Until next find, Jenny from thetoddlerwhisperer!







16 comments:

  1. It is a dilema. I find that there are certain things I'm willing to pay more for. But it's always fun to find something like that, and I would have purchased it too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since it was aqua, I would have gone for it. Any other color I might have thought more about. What a super find!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. $7 sounds normal to me. Usual prices at the Salvation Army and Goodwill for 441-442 is $4-7 and 443-444 is $7-10 around here (Washington DC area). The biggest thrift store, Unique (owned by Value Village) puts pyrex in the $7-15 range.

    ReplyDelete
  4. $6.99 sounds like a great deal to me for a 4QT. It's a huge, beautiful, heavy, bowl that could last another 50 years. I'd never buy my Pyrex online though, those prices are so high!
    Thanks for sharing your great find!
    Erica :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I understand what you mean by pausing at the higher price, I live in a very rural area where the prices on Pyrex tend to be fair. Even considering that, I would have still purchased it at that price (after hugging it and standing in the aisle for five minutes pondering it). For me it all depends on the pattern, rarity, and condition for how much I'll spend on Pyrex.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, those really are deciding factors for me too. :)

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I live in the middle of Canada where few folks have discovered the joys of pyrexia - shhhh! don't tell them!!!
    This keeps thrift store prices quite reasonable with many pieces to be found for under $10
    But I would pay $7 in a heart beat for that piece, it's gorgeous! but I have a weakness for all blue

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think $7 for a 4 qt. cinderella is fair. I would certainly pay that if it were in the condition and print I wanted. Some places just plain over price though. Just this morning, my local GW had 3 Autumn Harvest cinderella bowls in rough/dishwashered condition for $7/$10/$15. Not a chance!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would pay that and I have! Most of my pieces have come from thrift shops, but I have splurged at antique markets when I've been away, but I would never pay more than $20 and it has to be a real special piece!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i've never been to an antique market...sounds fun!

      Delete
  10. To me that's a very good price! There's no way I could have walked away from it. I try not to pay over $20 for one piece of Pyrex, and like Jill said, it has to be pretty special/hard to find for me to spend $20 or over.

    ReplyDelete
  11. $6.99 on a 444 or 404 is a steal in my opinion! They are usually $12 or more at my thrift stores.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow! I know the GW's around here haven't really picked up on the popularity yet.

      Delete