Saturday, August 18, 2012

Pyrexin' in Vancouver, B.C.

After I stumbled upon the gorgeousness that is pink gooseberry about a month ago in a "I cannot do anymore Math/Geology homework and need to keep my mind completely and utterly occupied or else I will daydream about radicals and glacial till sort of moment", I officially caught pyrexia. It's completely overtaken my mind, I'm thinking about pyrex all the time. When I watch TV, I'm looking for it. When I'm driving with my Mom, we must stop at all garage sales/thrift/antique stores, and I actually had a dream last night I found one of the Shamrock bowls in a garbage dump. Cra-ay-zee,
So, when I discovered the Pyrex Collective websites and Pyrex Love, I felt my sanity restored. We can't all be crazy, right?
.....
  On a trip to Vernon, BC I insisted my husband take me to every Value Village and Salvation Army in town. He actually did, too! I have a wonderful husband :) Too bad I only found two red fridgies, no lids for $4 bucks each. A bit steep, but I was feeling desperate.  I found a store in Kelowna, BC that boasted the Okanagan's biggest collection of Pyrex, named Sparrow's Nest. I picked up the Primary bowl set from the store owner, Wendy, who knew her Pyrex well and had a great collection.

I was stoked! Only the red one was showing a bit of wear. I feel like I cheated or something, getting the entire set at once. If you live in Vancouver, BC or any of the suburbs and are planning on making a trip out to Kelowna or the Okanagan before the summer ends, you should definitely check her store out. Sparrow's Nest Kelowna, BC . I like to share good finds and support women pursuing their passions in small business. Wendy, if you're out there, thanks for the great shop!

 I hadn't seen much awesome Pyrex advertised on Vancouver, BC Craigslist, but I did meet a fellow Pyrex lover when she sold me her pink daisy divided dish and a flamingo bowl (sorry, I'm still learning the official measurements and terms) and the daisy dish remains one of my favourites.

I scored the full Butterprint (also, side note: can anyone tell me why it's called Butterprint? Are the Amish Farmers making butter or something?) Cinderella set in great condition for $19.99 at Value Village in Langley, B.C on my very first day out thrifting. I was adamant that I would only collect Pink Gooseberry, but at that point, I hadn't found any.I couldn't leave that beautiful turquoise sheen behind. My husband used it to mix bread dough in the very first night we had it, so I call it a success.

I'm glad to have found this site and all the nice people on here! I'm enjoying reading your blogs and have sent CanadianErin mine as well to add. Nothing on it yet, but I'm sure at some point the rest of my Pyrex,love of hexagonal tile and my ranting about fitting all my Pyrex into 700sq ft apartment with my husband and English Springer Spaniel will be found at www.theapartmentwife.com

Happy Pyrexin' to you all! Good luck hitting all the thrift stores and garages sales on this beautiful August weekend! I will be living vicariously through you all as I study for finals :)

-Megan



3 comments:

  1. Oh, I am so jealous! I want the primary color set so badly, but have yet to find one piece of the set. I'm glad I'm not the only one who dreams about pyrex, the other night I had a dream where I had shelves and shelves of different patterns, kind of sad when I woke up!

    Congrats on your finds, it sounds like you have had some great luck so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks :) I've had some very good luck. I'm glad I'm not the only one that has dreamed of it, it makes me feel better :) Good luck on finding the primary set :) It's on www.shopgoodwill.com right now I think if you're dying for it and want to pay the crazy shipping!

    ReplyDelete
  3. welcome! I had to find my primary set a piece at a time, now I'm working on my second set.
    yes, you aren't the only crazy one

    ReplyDelete