Monday, January 27, 2014

My Weekly Thrift Store Finds and Early Birthday Shopping!

Oh boy, not much going on in Pyrexland in my neck of the woods.  There was a little bit, mostly Early American, DWDs or patterns I don't want or need.  Even then, there wasn't even much of that stuff.  I managed to get a couple pieces I can use and add to my hoard.


A pink Flamingo pie pan and a Verdé 503 fridgie to add to my 502.  Yep, that was it. Fortunately I have a an extra 503 lid.   I think hubby was feeling sorry for me, he asked me "where did you see that pink bowl?"  I had told him I saw a pink 024 at the antique/vintage mall so he insisted we go there.  He said, your birthday is coming up, I'm going to take you shopping.  I usually do the 'I don't need anything/want anything' thing before my birthday.  I think he was like "finally I can buy her something". So off we went and we first stopped off at another antique/vintage mall along the way and I found a long needed 442.



Yay!  I've completed my Butterprint Cinderella bowl set!  One booth had a couple promotionals and I made the mistake of drawing attention to them.  He said "get them".  I said, well, I'll get one, so I picked the Bluebird.  The other one was Meadow.  This was a lot for me at $36.40 for the lot, thrift store would be $12-$20.  But heck, I'll give in!  There were other pieces at the stores, a Blue Horizon which I would really have liked, but I just didn't want it bad enough for $8.50.  Hubby tried to talk me into an 8 oz. Flamingo covered bowl, but honestly, at $9 I wasn't the least bit interested.  I have a set  of 4 white Fire King lidded bowls that I like just fine. And two separate stores selling Verdé 501s for $9 each--nope, ain't gonna do it--even though I need them.  Surprisingly, there just wasn't a lot to chose from at the antique/vintage shops.

I was disgusted at one of the thrifts that prices Pyrex high.  They had a yellow hostess bowl, the big one for $14.95.  The top was okay, but the bottom was totally destroyed, hardly any yellow paint left on it!  I did find a cool Glasbake and a couple of nice Fire King pieces I really like.  I posted them on my blog here if you wanna see!

I think I'll wrap up my birthday shopping with Gooseberry bowls that I'm missing from my set!  I'm at the three and a half year mark of having only two bowls and yes, I'm tired of waiting! Yep, I'm desperate and finding those aren't likely to become easier.

(Hopelessly addicted),

Evie

6 comments:

  1. Sometimes we just have to give in and realize that maybe we just aren't going to be able to thrift the pieces that we need to complete sets and that is ok! Show me in the rule book where it says that thrifted Pyrex is the only way to go?

    Happy Birthday!

    Erica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So right Erica, it does come down to that at some point it seems. I've found SO MUCH at thrifts for really good prices, I really can't complain to have to pick up some of the harder to find pieces elsewhere. Does feel better when I do it on a special occasion though.
      Evie

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday Evie! I totally agree with what you and Erica have said, sometimes you have to pay the higher price for something you really want. I do this occasionally, especially in the winter-no yard sales-which are my main source of Pyrex. Pyrex has always been very scarce up here in our few thrifts, and then a DWD bowl will pop up, going for $9.99-drives me nuts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maureen! Yeah, winter...cold, dreary, low on Pyrex...can't wait for warm sunny days and sales, sales, sales!
      Evie

      Delete
  3. Evie, I just got Bluebirds and I love it, glad to see you found it! I wish I had known you needed the BP 442, we could maybe have worked out a trade as I just sold mine! I'll keep my eye out for a Yellow Hostess, I have found two Hostess bowls in the last month, both with lids, one yellow, one red. I'm trading the red one but the yellow is just so minty I fell in love. If I find one I will let you know. I also got the Flamingo pie plate a few weeks ago and i have used it multiple times for quiche. So pretty! SOmetimes it is fun to indulge. My birthday is coming up as well and my husband may or may not have splurged and purchased me a much coveted piece of Friendship. Well, who am I kidding, I may or may not have purchased it and will give it to him to wrap for me. Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tee-hee! The many ways of Pyrex walking into our lives! My hubby knows he doesn't know which pieces to get me, he'll tell you straight out "I'm no good at that". But he nudges me to buy!
      Evie

      Delete