Saturday, February 23, 2013

I Dream of Pyrex


Hi PC3, SusieQT here from Practice in Time!

I know you all will understand this- and probably no one else will!

I dream about Pyrex. I had a dream where I was looking for the charcoal Snowflake space saver and I went to this underground flea market (I know, weird) and saw it, but couldn't buy it.

Anyway, ever since then I have been obsessed with finding that Snowflake piece. I went to all the local thrifts, and didn't find it. You can probably guess where this is going...

I ended up buying it on eBay. I just couldn't stop thinking about it, and had to have it. The great thing about eBay is you know it will be available. The bad thing about that is that you really can't get a good idea of the condition. Sometimes it's hard to tell from a photo if a piece has been run through the dishwasher (and I have seen plenty of those on eBay- it makes me laugh at the seller's descriptions- 'marbled'? 'rustic'? LOL- as I'm crying inside for the poor Pyrex.) That, plus the risk of shipping something breakable makes it a bit too much of a chance for me sometimes. But like I said, I was obsessed!


So I bit the bullet and actually won an auction for this one. It's the smaller (shallow-er) of the space savers. Up until now, I didn't know they came in two sizes. I have to say I'm liking the shallow ones, because I can stack more of them in limited space ;). I paid $11.50 for it, which isn't too bad I guess, but certainly more than I would have paid in a thrift store. It was in absolutely mint condition, and arrived safely. Win!

While I was browsing through eBay, I also decided I wanted to buy the Butterprint butter dish. I have been looking for this in the wild for years and never seen it. I hate giving up on the hunt, but I have a feeling I'll never find it. (Of course, watch me find it in the next couple of weeks.) I put in a bid and then got caught up in my excitement of winning the snowflake and completely forgot that I had bid on the butter dish. 


Well, surprise! I won that too. Also in mint condition, thank goodness. 

So my dream came true in a roundabout sort of way...


It makes me really happy to look at my new pieces and I am sleeping better at night. :)
















8 comments:

  1. I am loving the way the pink and black looks together. I too have resorted to eBay when the thrifts don't yield what I am looking for. Don't feel bad! Who says that our collections can only come from thrift stores? There are no rules!!

    Have a wonderful weekend,

    Erica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great! I completely know what u mean about pyrex dreams-- we are nuts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you got the pieces you wanted. Finding Pyrex in the wild is awesome, but it's nice to know that Ebay is there in an "emergency!"

    I grew up with those canisters you have in your second picture. I'm guessing they were a wedding present when my parents got married in 1950. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks- my mom said the same thing about the canisters when I bought them about 20 years ago. She didn't get why I liked them!

      Delete
  4. Christina is right - we nuts. We def nuts.

    You're collection looks AMAZE. I found a black 503 fridgie at an antique market, but I just couldn't cough up the $40 to buy it, especially not being in mint condition (don't know if that's a black one on top, but if it is..).

    I just had a Pyrex dream, too. I found a pink one I never seen before (I don't think the piece really exists), it was in Value Village, it wasn't priced. I was carrying it around the store trying to find a sticker that I could tear off something else to apply it to the piece as they will not sell it to you if it is not tagged. PERIOD. I don't know if I ever bought it, cuz I woke up.

    & I think we all had those dreams where we enter a thrift & the shelves are full of PYREX BOUNTY. All colours of the rainbow, all sizes you can think of & some you've never seen before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't pick them up fast enough & by the end of it, you're balancing pieces on your nose, head & toes.

      Delete
    2. Thanks! Yes it is a black 503- found it at a thrift shop for a couple bucks. I had a dream last night about pink gooseberry mixing bowls- will have to get those next!

      Delete
  5. Yippee - so glad you got your dream, and in good condition too! It looks really good with the rest of your collection.

    ReplyDelete