Sunday, February 10, 2013

Butterfly Gold Antique Bargain

It has been over a week since I've gone thrifting or even antique browsing (EEK!) Although that news is shocking in and of itself, so was the price I paid for this 2.5 quart Butterfly Gold Casserole a few weeks ago -- only $4 -- at an antique store no less! 


I passed up a similar one months ago -- I thought $20 was far too much, but in retrospect, it would have been worth it to have the white patterned lid like the 1.5 quart one I already own. 


This time, I found the 2.5 during a recent antique spree (I also found this grease jar -- does anyone else use these?) 

There seem to be some scorch marks on the casserole that even Bar Keepers Friend won't get out, but since I plan on using this dish a LOT to cook with, I figure I'll be putting my own marks on there in no time.


Pam at Virginia Retro, suggested I make some macaroni and cheese in my snowflake dish a while back. I had such a hankering for mac and cheese after her comment... I HAD to make some in my new Butterfly Gold casserole! For more photos of this piece... as well as the link for a fabulous mac and cheese recipe, check out the post on Typing Sunflowers here. (Just make sure to add all of the cheese... and obviously, we all know it will taste better in Pyrex.)

Brenda

7 comments:

  1. Oh I love the grease jar. I use an old jelly jar for my grease but that would be awesome to have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was about to use a jelly jar when I stumbled upon the grease jar! I think any container would work... it's just fun to have a strainer on it.

      Delete
  2. Very nice - i have a lid but no bottom, maybe some day one will turn up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lid makes a nice platter in the meantime! I'm keeping my eye out for all kinds of lids at the moment -- especially extra fridge ones. Our local Salvation Army always has a bin full of misc lids!

      Delete
  3. Goodness, that is an AWESOME price! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love Butterfly Gold! Awesome price, you will find the lid! The lids on these are great!

    ReplyDelete