Thursday, February 14, 2013

I found an older red primary (I think)


Hi fellow Pyrexics!

Of course, a Valentine’s day post has to feature pink or red, and since I have yet to find my first pink Pyrex piece (sniff!), red it is.

A recent trip to Value Village revealed this little sweetheart.


It seems to have led a bit of a rough life with a little “chunk” gone from its base, but since I believe it’s from one of the original primary sets from the 1940s, I think it looks pretty good for its age.

The bottom is exactly like described on PyrexLove.com“The markings on the bottoms of the 1940s ‘non-numbered’ bowls are only ‘T.M. REG.’ in an arch above ‘PYREX’ horizontally in the middle, and ‘U.S. PAT. OFF’ below in an up-facing arch.”

So now I have a blue #401 (see here how that one came to me) and a non-numbered red.




Halfway to a full set.  I've seen a yellow primary at VV, but the price was too steep for me for the (very bad) shape it was in.  I've seen a beautiful green one, but it’s part of the Swiss Chalet (local restaurant) decorations, so I can’t quite get my hands on that one, as tempting as it is.

Oh well, I must now display some patience and I'm sure the yellow and green will come to me.

Happy Valentine’s Day to all Pyrex lovers!

C

3 comments:

  1. You'll find them all one day. It took me from 1996 - 2010 to find all four bowls in the wild (thrift stores). And I love them all and use them weekly if not daily. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete