Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Pyrex Left Behind

It's been a pretty dry time since my last one and only find. By "dry" I mean items I want/need to bring home. I can usually find Pyrex while out and about but now that I have focused my collection and am not just grabbing everything I see what I bring home has become fewer and farther. When you couple this with my new commitment to not buy retail and only do estate/yard/etc. sales well, then one has to be prepared for some drought. I'm adding prices to the below so you can see the price range here in the Old Pueblo.


The EA 443 was $6, the damaged T&C 444 was $8. I don't collect either. 


This is the most Pyrex I have ever seen at a thrift at one time. The unnumbered Primary was $6.99. the Spring Blossom 045 $6.99, the BG 441, $2.99, 442, $2.99, 444, $6.99.


Poor Hex Signs 045. I just couldn't love you, not at $6.99. The lid was separate and $2.99 and found on the next aisle. I put them back together so they could be reunited on the shelf.  

Not pictured: the Spring Blossom 443 at $12 and 444 at $16 I saw at Savers. We have two Savers. One is really expensive, one is midrange. Also not pictured is the sad Daisy 502 I saw at an estate sale, no lid, for $8. Really. $8. Even the antique fair/flea  market is raising prices; I had one vendor tell me Pyrex is super valuable so he has to charge more. Mkay.

I did find a 043 lid and 503 lid and I have passed by at least 10 470 lids, so I suppose I am back in the saddle as the Lid Whisperer. I have a huge stash of 470 lids so I left those behind for someone else. I am lucky to have a trade partner who does not like Friendship; we have done many trades for her to offload those finds and me to help feed her lid and cradle needs. I swapped the 503 lid I found last week for her minty Friendship 502 with lid. I was so happy I threw in a sleeve of Thin Mints to the outgoing box. 

Happy hunting!

Jacquelyn

5 comments:

  1. I used to find 470 lids like crazy, but can't even find those anymore around here. Pyrex is so far in between, you can't even walk into a thrift & find common pieces like these! I see one bowl in good condition maybe every 2 weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been finding 470 lids recently after not seeing them so much for a while. I wonder "where are all the casseroles for these?" I dare not think about which casseroles they were originally paired with with I so desperately want!
      Evie

      Delete
    2. Lately the 470 lids are everywhere. I passed up four more today. I also passed up a 475 because I already have there win my stash. I agree Evie, it always makes me wonder, where's the bottoms? The one time I found a space saver lid and cradle I spent a good thirty minutes looking for a bottom. It drove me crazy!

      Delete
  2. Jacquelyn--congrats on your Friendship 502!!!! How exciting! Boy, isn't that Friendship red incredible?!!!

    Yeah, I'm not a fan of the Hex design, but I would buy it if it was much cheaper.
    Evie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was not intending on collecting the Friendship complete fridgie set, just the 503. Now I am hooked! The red is amazing. However, I am starting to think the 501s will be the long pole in the tent, no on has any for trade and some gals tell me they have been looking for years. We'll see!

      Delete