Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Plenty of Pyrex Use

I haven't found much of anything lately -- not since the Pennsyvlania Jackpot last Thanksgiving. Oh, I've seen a few unloved pieces that have been through the dishwasher too often -- most of the time they're shockingly overpriced. But in my thrifting and antique adventures, I discovered that I'm actually okay with not buying any more Pyrex. (GASP!) I'm open to finding a gorgeous piece that I just have to have when I see it... but for now, I'm actually content with my plentiful collection.

Now that you've picked yourself up off the floor, allow me to explain. I really feel like I have plenty of Pyrex at the moment. Every time I open my cabinets, I smile. Every day I use multiple pieces from my collection.

So even though I haven't acquired any more Pyrex lately, I thought you'd like to see what my current collection has been up to. 


Baking






South African milk tart recipe found here.


 Entertaining



 Raspberry Cordial recipe link found here.
 
 


Cooking and Preserving


Sauerbraten recipe found here.


Fig Chutney link found in this post.


Eating and drinking, of course 
(even outside...)


Lemon meringue pie link found here.

Storing Leftovers

 (I love opening the fridge to scenes like this.)


And Misc Storage 
(especially in the yarn department)



Not pictured: Pyrex in the bathroom holding cotton swabs, Pyrex in the office holding mail, and the occasional pie plate that gets put under a plant after I water it (don't judge me... it is a well-loved pie plate.)
 
What's your collection been up to?   

13 comments:

  1. My collection is almost at capacity. There are only a few pieces I need but they are kind of rare and will most likely be pretty spendy when I do find them. My solution is to buy pieces that I know I can resell at a good profit then I save up the money I make to buy what I really need. Good plan, huh?

    Love all the Pyrex in Action!!

    ~Erica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent plan! I would consider snatching up pieces to resell if I could actually find more around here... they really are sporadic and not as commonplace as previous years!

      Delete
  2. I love this post, I try to use and not just stare at my dishes, lol. I cook air bake with it every day, I also do the 501s and 502s in the bathroom and office. they are great storage containers. My husband has some kumquat seeds germinating in a beat up 503. I have a not too bright Daisy 442 that has a succulent garden out on my porch. Love Pyrex!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Those fridge dishes are great storage containers! I have a few misc colors that don't go with my kitchen, so I use them in the office :)

      Delete
  3. Lovely post! I always use my mixing bowls, but I'm a little afraid to use my casseroles for anything other than display. Is that a platter with the Raspberry Cordial? I have the same one (with out the gold, tho) and use it A LOT. And I use my smaller bowls as yarn bowls. Also commented on your blog and bookmarked Annie's Eats, Thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was a little afraid to cook with my casseroles at first, so I started out with ones that I didn't care about as much. Now I just don't care and use a lot of them in the oven! The 503s are such a perfect size for small casseroles. I still don't go over 400 degrees though -- I'm skeptical about Pyrex holding up to heat higher than that.

      That is indeed a Pyrex platter! I have the plates minus the gold trim that I LOVE... but that's the only gold trim platter I have. It sees a lot of use too!

      Delete
  4. One of my favorite things is seeing the Pyrex in use! What a great post! Lisa-I am in complete agreement with Brenda, I use my casserole dishes whenever I can, these dishes were made for the oven, and I have never had a problem. They are really sturdy, or they wouldn't be around for us to hunt for 60 years later :)

    Brenda, I adore all the pictures, but that one of the striped teacup and saucer?? Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm looking forward to warmer days and more al fresco eating here soon. And yes... absolutely agree... these dishes have been around for decades. I think they can handle some more use ;)

      Delete
  5. Your Pyrex pictures are lovely--what a treat! I never considered buying Pyrex and not using it religiously. Any excuse to use them, prep, mixing, baking, thawing, storing and washing...all excuses to put my hands on it and adore it!
    Evie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I never realized not using it was an option... it was only when I started searching online that I found so many people who display their Pyrex and don't really use it. I guess if I had something really rare (like a Starburst) I would think twice, though.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful photos! They make me want to take more PIA shots, but I don't think mine would come out as nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Practice, practice :) Even if I never post a lot of the pics I take, it's fun to look back through the photos to remind myself of what's in my collection (and what I cooked!)

      Delete