Monday, March 24, 2014

Hitting the hot streak...


I have been collecting Pyrex for about a year now. I got my first piece a several years ago but only in 2013 did I start routinely going thrifting looking for pieces.

However in mid to late 2013 it became a lot harder to find Pyrex!!! I was in a lull, my local savers when it even had Pyrex was charging antique mall prices for pieces in worse condition that what I could get in an antique mall for that price!!! So I started shop hopping around multiple thrift shops once a week, I have a total of about 20 thrift stores on my radar and I go to at least 2 of them a week but sometimes all 20 depending on how busy I am and if I happen to be in various areas of Denver. An example is this week, I spent a half day thrifting early in the week in Aurora and went to about 5 shops, then Friday I had to pick up my son from his university for Spring break which took me to the other side of the city and in the vicinity of a whole lot of other thrift stores, so I checked out 7 that day.

I also go to antique malls now!! I emigrated to the USA from Australia last year and had never seen an antique mall until I came here, that is a revelation!! I love antiquing now, even if there is no Pyrex the malls are soooo fun to visit. But when I am antiquing I am on the hunt for cheaper pieces of Pyrex or pieces that complement a set I currently have.

So with all these efforts to find Pyrex I am finally hitting a hot streak!!! I get new pieces every week, it is great:

Antique Mall Finds
Antique mall buys March 2014
 I paid $24 for the rectangular baker because it is my first time ever seeing one, they seem hard to find here in Denver and $20 for the pink Daisy casserole and lid set to match a piece I already have and the black snowflake divided dish was $20 too but they are very scarce here in Denver. The remaining pieces were all around $10 to $12 or less which is definitely cheaper than what my local savers would charge!!

I love Autumn Harvest so pounced on these for about $5 each in the antique mall

I was pleased to find the alternate Town and Country in the antique mall and it was cheaper than the one I bought at savers recently!!!

I had never seen one of the tiny pink pieces or a pie plate!

My divided dish collection doubled that day!

I have the square baker in this color so was excited to get the matching rectangular one

 But I still find a lot of pieces thrifting and here are some of this weeks finds:

403 Butterprint $ 6 and 402 Butterfly Gold $3
The turquoise divided dish with lid was $3.24, the white with turquoise was $6 and all the others were between $3 and $6
But I am most excited about finding two pink mixing bowls (403, 402) for $11 this weekend!

I even got a pair of Verde Cindy bowls for $11 this week, I had never seen Verde and another piece of Autumn Harvest


So I have had many a happy dishwasher load lately:

I know it is not a popular idea putting Pyrex in the dishwasher but I do! Particularly once they are scrubbed with BKF to remove price tags, sticky residue etc, I run them through on a rinse cycle. I figure it is my collection I make the rules ;) Then I oil the display pieces and they aren't likely to get used again or go in the dishwasher again.


But I do use the dishwasher for my regular use Pyrex, but that is usually limited to non set oddball pieces that I will use until I die or the piece breaks.

5 comments:

  1. Lol. Wow, if you'd never seen an antique mall before, I'm sure it WAS a revelation! I've been going to antique malls, too. I've said it before…by the time I drive all over 2 or 3 counties, I've spent enough in gas to justify an antique mall purchase (I can walk to our local antique mall) or even an ebay purchase (shipping is still cheaper than gas). I still hit the thrifts, though. Today I got one small lonely piece of Pyrex, but it was still worth the trip to me. AND I got a piece of Butterfly Gold from someone online who knows I collect it…will post both later. All your finds are gorgeous.. I have a lot of catching up to do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! You have hit the jackpot! I'm so glad that things are picking up for you, that is great you have so many thrifts in your area. I also love the Autumn Harvest pattern, it is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got a set of four Autumn Harvest cindy bowls yesterday for $20 after a friend called me to tell me she saw them in a thrift store!!!! :)))) It is the alternating mix of red and orange.

      Delete
  3. Oh how I would love to go shopping in your collection! There are easily a few pieces I'm dying to have! Thanks for posting all your lovely Pyrex!
    Evie

    ReplyDelete