Sunday, April 7, 2013

Butterprint Bargain

Before I knew how obsessive I would become over Pyrex, I passed up a Butterprint fridge dish set at a local thrift store. I remember looking at it, thinking how cute the partial set was (being somewhat of a Pyrex virgin at that point, I was ignorant of the fact that it was completely missing the mid-sized 502 dish.)

I saw the fridgies two or three more times over the next few weeks -- still on sale for $20. Still no buyers. 

Then one day, I went in, determined to buy them for myself, and of course the set was gone

Much later, when I realized how much I loved fridge dishes, I managed to acquire two Butterprint 501s and a 502 on two different occasions. (You can read that story from Christmas here.) 

This week, as I made the thrift rounds, I found nothing except this lonely lidless Butterprint 503 on a bottom shelf for a whopping $2. 


Ironically, it was at that same thrift shop where I passed up the set over a year ago. I wondered if maybe it wasn't the same dish...? (Or am I the only one who buys stuff, realizes I don't need it, and then re-donates it back to the same thrift store where I purchased it?!) 

I had an extra lid since I found a sad Butterprint fridgie a few months back -- it looked like it had seen better days outside of the dishwasher. I think maybe only the rooster's tail was still blue -- the rest had faded completely. I bought the fridgie and then handed the cashier the bottom part since I only wanted to keep the lid.

So, I now have three complete sets of fridge dishes. I am officially out of room and probably need to stop looking for them. (Oh, who am I kidding?! How does one actually stop?


What sets are you looking to complete this spring?


8 comments:

  1. They look great, I have a full set of the Gooseberry and I'm missing the midsize to complete the Butterprint...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's one out there with your name on it... somewhere!

      Delete
  2. I don't think I'll ever be officially out of room. A true hoarder & shopping addicts finds what they need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, ha... let me know if you have a BG lasagna pan in your hoard. We may need to make a trade one of these days.

      Delete
  3. I'm missing the 501s to complete a primary fridgie set. I do have one, but it's been dishwashered a bit so I'm searching for two nicer ones. A few weeks back I found the entire butterfly gold fridgie set at a DAV thrift for less than $20, and my aunt recently gave me her complete set of butterprint fridgies--she had gotten them as a wedding gift fifty years ago, and they still look brand new! I've got several partial sets in other patterns, I'm always on the lookout to complete them. Can't have enough fridgies! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see the red fridgies fairly often, but they always seem so overpriced. Hope you can find some nice shiny cheap ones soon! That's lovely that your aunt gave you her wedding gift of fridge dishes.

      Delete