Sunday, September 29, 2013

A Serious Yard Sale Score

I'm happy to now be a part of the Pyrex Collective! Thanks for adding me, Erin!

One of my biggest yard sale regrets is letting my mom sell all her Pyrex bowls. I wish I had scooped them up for myself, but alas, I was young and foolish and totally invested in Gladware in my hip new apartment. I sat there at that yard sale and watched them sit and sit and then eventually get sold for a few dollars. Sigh. Hindsight is 20/20.

Well, no more. I am on the Pyrex bandwagon and enjoying the ride.

My "awakening" began in earnest last fall, when I decided I wanted to ditch the cheap plastic containers and vintage-up my kitchen and use real, solid vessels. Our family of three loves to go to yard sales at least once a month, and this past May was one I will not soon forget. We live in Arizona, it was already hot, and we were not not having much luck. It was late morning, yard sale time was drawing to a close, but we spotted one last corner sign and my seven-year old asked to check it out.

We found the house and parked well down the street. I ambled up the sidewalk and then broke into a run-walk move the likes of which I save for extreme sales. Seriously, I couldn't get there fast enough, because I saw these sitting on a table, all by their lonesome:


Yep, three Spring Blossom nesting bowls, the 401, 402, and 403, in near perfect condition. And then I picked them up and saw the price sticker: $5. Yes, $5. I just about died. I didn't even try to negotiate, I just pulled out the cash and sprinted away. My husband followed me and grabbed the bowls before I danced too much and dropped them. He's good like that, I needed him to hold them so I could snap the picture you see.

In the Old Pueblo we call a major deal such as this a gonga.

8 comments:

  1. I have the full set of that, love those! Nice score. That was a steal for those. I love love love Pyrex!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also have the small casseroles in this print, with the lids, Love those too!

      Delete
  2. You definitely have started into something that is quite addictive! I have that full set and use them a lot. $5 is a great price! It is nice that your thrift hunting is a family affair.

    Ranae
    thevintageshelf.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our daughter loves yard sales. She is the sign "lookout" in the car and tells us when to turn onto the streets.

      Delete
  3. I could feel your excitement reading your post! Great score!!!
    Evie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely an exciting morning---I still get wound up thinking about it!

      Delete
  4. I can;t bring myself to even store things in plastic anymore. I purchased the fancy paper ice cream containers rather than use gladware.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These bring back memories! I know my mom had a set. Nice that they're in mint condition.

    ReplyDelete