Thursday, March 29, 2012

I must have good Pyrex karma.

I'm not sure what I've done in life to allow me such good Pyrex karma, but I'm feeling extrodinarily lucky with my finds since I began collecting. I almost fear sharing my latest find with you because you may either;

a) hate me forever, or
b) immediately move to my city to indulge in the Pyrex abundance, or
c) Pyrex will dry up and I will be out of luck forever.

But because we're friends (we are friends, right?), I thought I owed it to you to share some of the awesomeness I've discovered.

There is an antique mall up the road from my house. It's your typical antique store; filled with tons of junk, overpriced collectibles, and some lovely treasures if you dig hard enough. One of the vendors has Pyrex on the regular. She prices them like a crazy person. A Forest Fancies casserole sans lid for $25.00? No, thank you. A beautiful set of Butterprint casseroles with lids for $15.00? I think so.

See what I mean? No real rhyme or reason. Well, for a few weeks, I frequented her space. She had a gorgeous set of New Dots bowls in mint condition priced $75.00 "FIRM." Now, I know that's a good, fair price. I would pay at least that plus shipping on any auction site, but the penny-pincher in me just couldn't justify it even though they made my heart stop every time I passed them. Finally, I got the nerve to ask the owner of the store if she thought the vendor would lower them as they had been sitting for several weeks. Less money is better than no money, no? She sighed and said she doubted it but picked up the phone anyway.

Ten minutes later, the bowls were mine.







How much did I pay? I'm scared to tell you.

$35.00. I KNOW! I couldn't believe it, myself. Apparently, the vendor has tons of other things she wants to stock and since these bowls have failed to move for several months, she decided to just cut me an awesome deal and cut her losses. Either that, or she had NO idea what she had on her hands. Either way, I feel incredibly lucky to be the proud owner of a beautiful New Dots set of mixing bowls.

XO,
Sally @ Exploits of a Military Mama

7 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I know. I know. I feel like all my luck was poured into this ONE find. And I shall be cursed with no more Pyrex luck forever and ever.

      But it was pretty well worth it.

      Delete
  2. It always pays to ask. I even ask the ladies at GW if they will cut me a deal on my finds...and sometimes they do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. $35?! Crazy! Was that the price you asked for or was that the amount she came up with? See, it doesn't hurt to ask.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She offered! If asked, I probably would have coughed up fifty bucks, but then would have felt guilty for spending more than ever on Pyrex. I just got soooo lucky.

      Delete