Monday, December 23, 2013

Any other Seattlelites feel like their Pyrex-collecting days are over?

This is very region-specific, but seriously...what happened to the endless, gorgeous supplies of Pyrex in Seattle? I haven't found anything since Yellow Dots. I mean, granted, Yellow Dots was the score of the century as far as my Pyrex collection goes, but still.








Here is a picture of the nothing that I've found.

I have to assume that all the good Pyrex is being snapped up the minute it appears on the thrift store shelves by people like me, which is fine. I know I'm not the only collector. But sometimes it almost seems like Pyrex doesn't even get put on the shelves anymore. I haven't seen a piece of it in St. Vincent de Paul or Deseret Industries for months. At my local Goodwill, there are a couple DWD pieces that have lived there for months on end. It's just a bummer. 

I've got a very satisfactory collection now--way more than I need--but sometimes I just miss that little thrill of spotting a pattern from halfway across the store, having the world go silent except for the sound of my breathing and my cape flapping as I fly across the store--Super-Pyrex-Woman, on her way to rescue another piece of Pyrex from being washed in the dishwasher, chipped against other thriftstore crockery, or just not sufficiently admired. You know that feeling, right?

Any other Seattle people experiencing the same problem? If not, I'm happy for you. No need to divulge your sources--just give this lady some hope, please!

-Margaret Ann

10 comments:

  1. I'm not in Seattle but am in a western state. It has been a drought here at the thrifts, all I have found are lids, which is good, but I need bottoms, too!

    Love this post. I was cracking cup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bummer Margaret Ann, I loved your post though! I know that Pyrex adrenalin rush so well! Maybe things will pick up. I know we have dry spells here too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I live north of Seattle and the Pyrex has dried up. Actually, I don't go thrifting as much as before. Because I got tired of being disappointed at never finding any decent Pyrex. Loved your discription of finding that glorious Pyrex.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute post! I am in central NY and it is hit or miss for me... Antique store dealers beat me to the punch! I have even run into some booth owners I recognize!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I live north of Seattle also, and the only Pyrex that I saw last weekend was in "that" antique town. You know the one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, man...I'm sorry to hear that all of you are experiencing the drought as well. I was hoping to be the fluke. Well, the good news is, I went to GW today (yes, on Christmas Eve--I went to donate some stuff and then OF COURSE I stopped in) and I found a minty Friendship lid (I can't remember the size right now, but it's the kind that is white with the Friendship design, rather than clear) and a Butterfly Gold 502 fridge dish, both for decent prices. There was also a Autumn Harvest 444, but I already have that one. Don't think I didn't consider buying it anyway. I'm that desperate for a hit. Anyway, I bought the other two. I think the take-home message is that complaining totally pays off.

    Just kidding. Merry Christmas, fellow Pyrex-o-maniacs! May your stockings be filled with Butterprint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there, I went to two Goodwills on Christmas Eve! I also found Pyrex. At the first was a faux pal (still not sure what pattern it was originally) 473, and a very damaged verde 473 with lid. I passed on both. At the second GW I found a Spring Blossom 1 402 for $1.99. I bit. The end.

      Delete
    2. $1.99 is a great price to pay for a little bit of Pyrex!

      Delete
  7. I very rarely find anything anymore. I dont have a lot of pyrex just two pieces total so I stay on the look out. I am in seattle.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am in the same situation. Other people in the city seem to be having luck, but for some reason, even if I am out there 5 days a week, nothing. I have found a few pieces recently, but it's a far cry from what I was lugging home before. I can even go to 15 thrift stores and not see any pieces that aren't damaged. And the only pieces in the antique markets seem to be damaged. I get irritated hearing people complain about it on their end (not talking about you) when they bring home rare pieces a couple times a month & can bring home other pieces to. I used to bring lids home almost everyday! Can't remember the last time...

    ReplyDelete